Monday, January 28, 2008

The Calm Before the Storm

Does that sound ominous or what?

No, we aren't expecting any major terrors around the corner, but in about 2.5 months we will have an addition to our family - and one that is basically completely dependent on us. Look - you can tell she's really in there (and no, my brother isn't having a baby too, he just wishes he looked as cool as me).

Based on conversations with many friends who have recently had babies, Daryl and I are planning for the first 3 months at least to be like war! :) While you can't prepare for what life will be like after baby, we have been assured that things will be different - especially in regards to my sleep.

So tonight we are just chilling. I confess that unless it's a weekend evening I often feel very lazy if I'm not doing something productive - even if it means having coffee with a friend, making phone calls, or writing letters. But I've decided that any chances we get to just chill out these next few months, I better enjoy!

That doesn't mean we are becoming hermotized sloths, but it does mean that tonight after cleaning up dinner I sat on the couch with Daryl and watched him play video games and now we are in bed reading (and blogging)...and just for fun - not for increased learning or anything. I even took a 30 minute nap today.

I know these moments may be fewer and farther between in the near future, so I am relishing it. :)

Any last minute date ideas before baby arrives?

ps - thanks for all of the condolences/prayers regarding Simon. We are doing MUCH better already. :)

7 comments:

Nathan & Sarah said...

I was wondering when we were going to get a belly picture. I feel like I haven't seen you in forever, and the last I did see you, you were barely showing. You look great!

Chris and Meg said...

Oh Lauren, you are too cute!! You look awesome!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think the first three months are like war...however I do think expecting the worst helps....then, anything better is a bonus! It's just a wonderful lesson on selflessness. Anyway, in these last few months of your pregnancy do all things as unscheduled as you can...it won't be like that after she gets here! Love ya!
Shannon

Baby Hancock said...

I'd suggest..I dunno...stock up on household things, read up on breastfeeding and first bath, make a checklist for your hospital bag, charge the cameras, choose a birth announcement (and print labels!), and just forget about the things you don't get to!

Chris and Meg said...

WVA isn't that far from DC. :) Hey, isn't your brother in DC now..you should come for a visit and I'll take your pics.

young wife&mom said...

go go go! stay in hotels, stay in a bed and breakfast, go to the post office, go on a long shopping trip by YOURSELF, go out to eat at very nice and quiet restaurants, get a pedicure..maybe even a massage, go to bed at 9pm. wake up as late as you can. get up on a saturday morning and just go somewhere exciting and fun...visit your friends in fairmont!!!
i love you..you are going to do great..and yes i do believe those first 3 months are the toughest part. war? not so sure about that..try not to have any expectations. get thru it and enjoy as much as you can..but don't try to nail down your whole parenting philosopy, beat yourself up about not being a good wife, or be mad that you havent had a quiet time in weeks or that you arent losing your baby weight fast enough..just muddle thru...there will be time for all that later:)

Destiny said...

Hey Lauren! I hope you are doing wonderfully well! I came across your blog and wanted to say hey! Drop me a line via the e-mail machine sometime. We need to chat and catch up.

Take care!!

Destiny