Thursday, April 03, 2008

Invasion...


Yes, it's true. Something has taken over my body and at current, my datebook! :) Daryl often says I have a parasite inside of me, which isn't very nice - sorry, Anna - but often makes me laugh.

For a while I thought pregnancy was cute and great - somewhere in between the vomit stage and the "I feel like a human bowling ball" stage! Now I think I'm pretty much over it. I can't wait to buy fun clothes again or be able to be on my feet all day without having leg cramps at night.

For those of you who know me well, you know that I am somewhat of a planning freak. Our calendar is up to date with my activities in one color, Daryl's in another, and ours as a couple in yet another. On the left side I have a list of what we'll be eating for the week and I do my grocery shopping only once a week. I have a hard time not spazzing out when the kind person serving me and loading items in bags for me rearranges the order - this means the produce is no longer tidy in one bag, the frozen goods are separated, etc - don't they know I arrange things on the belt in categories for a reason?!!!!

While some of my planning tactics are great and beneficial to the productivity and comfort of our home, some of it is just me not resting in and being content in God's Sovereignty.

For instance, it has caused me much distress that I now have four invitations pinned to our bulletin board that I don't know how to respond to because Anna hasn't told us when she plans to come out. I have dinners scheduled, parties we've RSVPed too and menus planned and I don't know if we'll even show up. Doesn't Anna know Daddy's work schedule could use some prior notice too? :)

But these problems won't stop once she's arrived. I still won't know exactly what size bathing suit I'll need for the summer (or if I'll even be willing to wear one for that matter) or exactly when Daryl and I can leave her to go camping, etc. I'll have to continue to wait. God, are you trying to teach me something?!!! I think so!

I love the verse in Proverbs 31 that says, "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." She trusts God, but is also as prepared as she can be - dependence and obedience :) When things don't go as planned, she can laugh because she trusts her Father.

I have a feeling we may be laughing a lot around here soon!

We are so excited to meet Anna and can't believed God has blessed us with such a great pregnancy and gift!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand the dilemma between planning and trusting. I think you just adapt when they get here and all of a sudden you realize life is easier if you are already used to planning (only now it will be around feedings, naps, etc)and used to being flexible with interruptions. One FUN THING TO DO NOW at this point in your pregnancy...the closer your due date arrives, stop answering the phone when people call...IT FREAKS THEM OUT TO NOT KNOW IF YOU ARE HAVING A BABY OR NOT!
lOVE,
sHANNON

Andrea said...

Lauren! You are such an adorable pregnant woman!!! I just started reading your blog recently...and it helps me stay connected to my roots in Morgantown (so thank you for that) :) I'm so excited for you and your husband! I will tell you this...Jamie and I didn't actually go on an official date until Jadon was nine months old!!! We went to see Third Day, and were only gone for four hours...I didn't really care to see them, once I got there...I missed my baby :/ I don't think I was prepared for the emotionally draining attachment/worry I'd have, once I became a mom. The physical stress ended around three months, but I don't think the emotional stuff ever goes away :/ Maybe you'll be better at it than I am and get to go camping, before Anna is a year old :) Hopefully :) I love your life! Can't wait to see pics of her, when she arrives :) Take Care,
Andrea S.
P.S. Did I mention to you how amazing it is to be a mommy??? It's the absolute best!

Baby Hancock said...

Lauren- What a cute pic of you guys...Just wait till there are three of you in your "family" photo! There is no joy like watching your baby grow. And with it, yes, we learn alot about ourselves--especially those of us who like to HAVE CONTROL over our schedules and our clean homes, etc... Babies, especially the newborn phase, really help to put things in perspective and boil it down to what REALLY matters (you both got a bath for the day.) He He. You'll get the hang of it in no time. Can't wait till you have a sweet little baby in your arms!!
Love ya,
Nina

Nathan & Sarah said...

Lauren, I have a feeling one of the invitations is one that I sent you...if so, don't worry about it. I'm going to assume you'll be there and if you don't come, you don't come. Please know you'll be missed.
Also, what an adorable picture of you and Daryl. You look just beautiful. I can't wait to hear that little Miss Anna has arrived! We're so excited for the two (three) of you!

Chris and Meg said...

Lauren, you have to be one of the cutest pregnant women I've seen!! Wow, I can't believe it's almost time for you to have your little one. How exciting!! I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only organized person. lol!! I get teased all the time about my organizing. Keep hanging in there girl and enjoy all your free time before the baby comes. Love, Meg

Anonymous said...

The grocery belt catergories makes me laugh because I do the SAME thing! And it drives me nuts too.

Don't worry having a baby will throw your schedules for a loop more than you could ever imagine but it's because you'll be busy with new schedules (the eating, pooping, sleeping schedules, LOL). And you'll be so immersed in this new routine you'll forget you ever lived life a different way.

The greatest advice I received from an awesome counselor (after going through a difficult time in my life) was this: "your children will not remember how your house was always spotless and things were always 'in place', they'll remember the times that you spent with them on the floor playing and coloring". And it's true... having a baby changes what is most important in life.

And ps. you look amazing and I can't wait to see pictures of your cutie Anna!

Love ya girl
Katie Gaffner

Niki said...

Lauren, you look so great pregnant! I'm sure most women would be rather envious; you can think of that when you feel grumpy ;)