Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Simon



This is my dog Simon.

I inherited Simon upon marriage. Although I had always considered myself a dog lover, when I actually had to live with a 100 pound, black hair shedding, inconsiderate Doberman, I started questioning if I really loved dogs at all.

Sure I liked Simon. I liked Simon outside. I liked Simon cuddling on the couch. I liked Simon when people saw us out and said, "Wow, that's a cool dog."

But I hated constantly having black hairs stuck to my socks, water drops on the kitchen floor, and his incessant staring while I lie in "his" former spot on the bed. I did not like Simon in those moments. I did not like Simon when he stunk, when he drooled or when he bowled me over coming down the stairs.

And yet somehow, at some point, Simon won my heart.

Perhaps he won it when he wiggled his stubby little tail and spun around when I came home from work. Or perhaps it was when he leaped and played with me in the yard. Perhaps it was when he very clearly warned me that there was a strange man in our yard and barked ferociously to let that strange man know he shouldn't pull any funny business at Simon's house. Perhaps it was when he looked at me with those big sad eyes at dinner for just a little bite. Perhaps it was when he snuggled with me on the couch or groaned with contentment when I rubbed his ears or the back of his legs. Perhaps it was when he started visiting my side of the bed each night and lying his head by mine for one last pet. Perhaps it was when he started following me everywhere like he wanted to be near me - even in the laundry room. Or perhaps it was the other day when he got off his leash while being attacked by little crazy yappy dogs (seriously - they were obviously crazy - they attacked someone 5 times their size) and stood still until I could replace. Perhaps it was at one of those moments, but I believe this love I have for Simon has been in process since the first day that I met him.

Who couldn't love him? He even smiled for the camera.

Proverbs 12:10a, "A righteous man regards the life of his animal," has always applied to my gracious husband, but not so much to me. I'm beginning to think that maybe God is using even Simon, a big hairy dog, to help make me a little more righteous. God does work in mysterious ways.

So Simon, this blog entry is for you...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And Simon is probably saying:
"I Wuve U Wauren."

Lauren said...

That is hilarious :)

Anonymous said...

My favorite dog was a huge doberman I owned in college. His name was Rocky. He used to sit on the couch like a person.