Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Lions, and tigers, and bears - OH MY!



Last week Daryl and I got the chance to go to Hovatter's Zoo in Kingwood. If you haven't been there, I would highly suggest it. It brings me much joy, and fortunately, Daryl loved it too!



Told yah...

Anyways, last week a bunch of us were talking about memorizing Scripture and how Ephesians 6 lists "the sword of the Spirit" (the Bible) as our one offensive weapon. In youth group that night I shared a story about a man who killed a lion that had attacked him with his sheath knife. Had he not had the knife, or had the knife not been sharp, it would have been all over for him.

In the same way, when I don't have the word of God in an attack, ready to fire, I can get mauled, or tangled up in the devils claws and teeth. 1 Peter 5:8 calls the devil a "roaring lion seeking whom he may devour."

It was cool to go to the zoo the next day and watch these lions. They are so massive and muscular and scary. They are not nice. They are not house cats. They are mean and they will eat you.



Satan is looking for who he can devour. We don't want to just scare him off, we want to wound him. Have your sword ready.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren, Can you believe we have never been to Hovatter's Zoo and it's practically in our back door! We have been to National Zoo in DC,Pittsburgh, Columbus zoos. The big cats are one of my favorites, and elephants, and zebras, and camels, well I like them ALL! Thanks for sharing and glad you 'found' your keys. Sheila

Unknown said...

Good blog,

I think we forget sometimes how vicious a lion is. Ephesians 6 is totally tight too. Glad to see you blogging more regularly.

I think blogging could be a spiritual discipline for people. As we write, we reflect, and as we blog, our reflections can become an encouragement to others who we may not see.

Keep the sword sharp.

Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27.17

Erica Bolyard said...

Hey Lauren! I love reading your blog. Can I put a link to yours on mine?

--Glad to hear that you got a little taste my Preston County roots. ha ha

Baby Hancock said...

Lauren-

I've never heard of the Hovatter's Zoo, so I think you need to take me for a tour! Sounds like fun and the pics are cute!

I wonder if Daryl would put my keys under his seat...I'd like a relaxing day, too!!

:-)

Love,
Nina

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren. I have never responded to a blog before!! Let me know if you get this....I love to know what God is teaching you!.....and...
You should not have been petting that tiger!!! OH MY!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

yea i dont think you know me but i go to the church and um well thats my familys zoo so i thought i would comment