Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Back from the dead

Okay, so I most certainly haven't been dead, but maybe that got your attention!

This morning I was up working fairly early for me. There was a CD playing in the background and the singers were singing about being all happy in love with God.

I wasn't necessarily all "happy in love," but I was extremely delighted when God reminded me that love isn't "a feeling of ecstacy" or "overwhelming excitement about someone" (although these feelings are often associated with love).

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." (1 Corinthians 13:4-7).

The two greatest commandest are to love God and love others. I wish I always had the ooey gooey feeling towards God and others, but the truth is sometimes I don't have that ooey gooey feeling. Sometimes I just have to choose to love the way 1 Corinthians says to and that's okay. Sometimes I have to choose to tell Him that I love Him. Choose to hug a friend. Choose to sit and read His Word. Choose to listen to others. Choose to sing. Choose to smile. Choose to raise my hands and delight in Him. Choose to serve the desires of others rather than my own. Choose to obey. Choose to submit.

I choose because "the law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them is your servant warned; in keeping them is GREAT reward." Prsalm 19:7-11.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Lauren,

It doesn't look like your blog is totally screwed up--just the links part. I'm glad you are writing again. I often get frustrated by the sensibility in many songs that everything is all happy and ooey-gooey with God and others all the time. When I am tempted to think that way, I feel like I'm a total whack-job!

But the truth is in the choosing. In the choosing in spite of how I feel physically or emotionally to worship.

I don't know if you had a chance to read that link I had to a John Piper article on memorization, but he pointed out that we should memorize those things that are harder for us, like "bless the Lord O my soul," because those are hard ideas for us to grab hold of.

I like Psalm 119 too!

Anonymous said...

Supposed to be working on projects for graduate school Round 2. Instead, I am reading Lauren Blaney's blog. Well, at least it is a wholesome form of procrastination.

I will amen the ooey-gooey feeling statement. Some one needs to write a something along the lines of "I feel like leftovers on their second day spiritually and I wish people would not get in my way. la la la la la I don't want to pray la la la but I will anyways because God doesn't want me to just serve him when I feel happy la la" How much play time will it get on KLOVE?

We had a sermon on Job last week down here. Probably wasn't feeling to happy to there but was still looking towards God.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren!

glad to see you posting again. love reading your blog. I agree: there are lots of ways to worship and it can be filled with joy without the "happy" stuff. thanks for writing