Monday, July 23, 2007

Putting it back in perspective...



There seems to be a context influx of noise in my life and sometimes, if I'm not careful, I start believing thoughts that aren't true.

Some of the non-truths I have unfortunately believed at some point or another in my lifetime are:

- Credit card information gets stored on hotel key cards
- Toe jam is really tiny little invisible worms that you can't see so wear socks to keep them from crawling up your legs
- You urine will be clear if you are getting enough water (uh - that means you're getting TOO much water)

One of the more recent non-truths I have bought into in my subconscious is that children are really just a lot of work and deciding to have them means deciding to end your so-called life :)

Now married, the idea of children isn't just something that "may occur in the very far away future," but something that could occur at any time if God should so choose. To be honest, that scared me to death.

While some fear is healthy, God is teaching me that my fear is not from Him at all and that I need to be careful not to take others opinions as more than what they are - opinions.

Psalm 127 says: "Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!" (vv. 3-5).

Twice now God has brought that passage to me, and I believe to fulfill a specific purpose. My outlook on bearing and raising children had become dreadful, and honestly, sinful, and therefore, He wants to dispel it.

Carolyn Maheney conveyed truth to me this way in her book "Feminine Appeal":

"What words or images come to your mind when you think about your children?" (or for me, the possibility of them) "Are you inclined like I was to think: work,, responsibility, sacrifice, burden, more work?

Look at the words the psalmist used to describe children: heritage, fruit, reward, arrows. Then he followed with this exclamation: 'Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!'"

What a timely message for me. How faithful God is to renew our minds with truth, removing our doubts and replacing lies with truth.

Children do require work and sacrifice and responsibility but God says to gain life, we lay ours down. How I hope that in His perfect time He will give me this blessing, and that in the deepest core of me I will hold on to the truth that they surely are a reward that I do not deserve.

If you have children, may I encourage you to remember today that they indeed, though time, emotion and energy consuming, are primarily a reward and a blessing? Remember and tell them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the insightful entry!! It is VERY relevant to me right now as I am approaching becoming a mama (and sometimes wondering what I got myself into!)--- you're right... kids are work, but they are moreso blessings. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
marriage is hard work too, but doesnt mean you wouldnt want to be married would you?
Children are a joy. i absolutely love each day with Caleb, being able to see him learn and grow and do something new almost every day. and yet they are work, and hard work at that! :) but the joys far outweigh all of that. and when the timing is right, God will give you peace and anticipation for little ones. enjoy being married, because life without children is a special time too:)

love,
lorrie

Niki said...

It's good that you're so honest about this. Plenty of people would be shocked that some of us even waiver at the thought of having children. In the end, you can only do what you believe to be best for the two of you at the given moment. Good post!

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
I've been meaning to comment on your posts but never did get around to it. I try to check in with you at least once a week if not more. Your blog is so inspiring. I actually realized that I went to high school with you. I was in your brother's graduating class but I had a few classes with you!
Anyway, I am 4 months pregnant now and while my husband and I are thrilled to finally be having a baby (problems in the past) I am scared to death of the labor. Do I have him naturally or do I use an epidural? Although I am still making a decision, your blog has helped me come to terms with the fact that I don't need to make that decision on my own. Thank you so much for that!!

The Royal Garcias said...

Lauren, Thanks for this post. God is so faithful at crushing lies. I have all the same fears, but what's in my head is under Jesus' feet. Amen!!

Lauren said...

Dear anonymous from BHS!

Wow, that is so cool! I'm so glad you are pregnant! Praise God!

Anyways, thanks for reading my blog. I'm curious as to who you are, I must confess :)

Regardless, I pray you deliver a healthy baby and that you enjoy your pregnancy!

Lori said...

Dear Lauren, I read this section of your blog, and it reminded me a lot of the same thoughts that I had right after I got married. I kept praying for Gods perfect timing and that I wouldn't get pregnant too soon. Everything In Morgantown was new to me: my husband, the city, the church & people....a child would have devastated me. I wanted to relish in the "newly-wed" phase...but just one month after getting married I did get a child (a 14 year old step child) and now Darrell & I have discovered that we are expecting our own little one. Nothing in my life has turned out the way I thought it should... And I find myself many times in despair because of that. Grappling between God's plan and my own. I'm encouraged by your tight relationship with God. Thanks for your words and your prayers. -Lori Willis