Friday, July 13, 2007

Tick Tock


Daryl has been talking to me a lot about perseverance lately as he has been coming across that subject a lot while he's been spending time in the Word. I've known it was important, but this week, in the midst of trying to keep my life in balance in so many areas, I've realized that maybe I need to hit the big book and study that a little more too!

When we got married we sat down and created a very detailed budget and when the cash is out - no more spending! Last week we also decided to make something similar for our calories - when we've had the amount that we need for the day - no more eating! :)

I've also been trying to make sure I stay on top of house work, make sure I wake up early enough to have my quiet time, eat breakfast and spend time with the Lord (and look nice for work out of respect for both my husband and my co-workers!), maintain good relationships with others, and exercise at night - oh yeah, and read some helpful materials and pray for my friends needs.

The budget was fun and exciting the first month. Counting calories and staying under was fun the first day. Working out is much more fun with friends.

But guess what - I can't ever stop. Sure it's okay to sleep in occasionally. I'm sure we'll break into our "emergency fund" one day for a non-emergency. And yes, someday I plan on eating the biggest ice cream sundae drizzled in chocolate that I can find!!!

But perseverance is a must. And I think maybe I need to shift my focus a little bit. It seems more helpful to focus on the fruit of persevering and maintaining self-control (like feeling better about my body, not being in debt, and growing in godliness) than on "I have to do this," or "I can't do that."

I am so thankful for God's Word and how it helps me.

Here's one of my favorites He let me slide across again this weekend...

"Have you not known Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint," (THAT'S ME!),
"and to him who has no might," (over that scrumptious looking chocolate bar), "he increases strength, even youths shall faint and be weary and young men shall fall exhausted, but they who WAIT FOR THE LORD shall RENEW their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not be faint."
- Isaiah 40:28-31

He has all the power I need, I just need to wait for it...er...wait for Him.

Thanks for helping me babble about this to come to some really helpful solutions! Enjoy waiting on Him - let me know what happens as you do!

1 comment:

Kara Beth said...

If you have extra perseverance lying about we implore you to consider donating it to a sister in need (i.e. me!)
I have given into peer pressure:
http://caveofthejadedidealist.blogspot.com

However, I still refuse to purchase a cell phone! Give me a week or two and maybe I'll have something semi-intelligent and spiritually gratifying on there.
Hope that both of you are well.