Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Uncertain

Life has gotten more routine for us in the Reynold's household and Anna and mommy have been getting out more and more. Daryl and I even took a date last week without her!

However, we have been having troubles with an inconsolable baby at times and it seems to be tummy related. At first I thought she was just fussy, not wanting to sleep during the day time, but now it is more consistently after certain feedings of the day - she'll arch her little back and then pull up her knees and scream. It will pass, but then return - much like cramps.

Poor little thing! Sometimes simethicone drops seem to work, but sometimes not. We are trying to limit certain things in my diet but since the beginning I was already avoiding the large triggers - broccoli, onions, cauliflower, lots of dairy, caffeine, etc. Now I'm trying to avoid dairy completely to see if that helps. We'll see. It's frustrating being afraid to eat anything at all for fear it will make her more uncomfortable, but also knowing I have to stay nourished for my own sanity and to nourish her.

She has brought us so many moments of great joy. It is with pride I take her around with me and with joy I hold her on my chest when she sleeps. I love how she now focuses so alertly on our faces and looks so intently at me when I sing to her. I love her cute little faces and standing over the crib at night when she inadvertently smiles.

And yet I hate hearing her groan and grunt and strain over the monitor as she sleeps, indicating she's not feeling so well. I hate when she screams and screams and nothing comforts her. I hate watching her contort in pain. While it's made me love her more and be more compassionate to her, it is hard to watch your child be in such discomfort. I suppose this will only get worse as time goes by and boys break her heart and friends tease her for her long toes :)

So our baby may be developing colic. She may be allergic to something. Or perhaps it's just a short term issue - like a stomach bug. Regardless, last night while we prayed for her Daryl thanked God for His Sovereignty and I was struck at how quickly I forget - He is in control and He is good.

Today as I tried to soothe our baby, this song by Nicole Nordeman brought me to tears with gratefulness at yet another gentle reminder that He is in control and loving us...

When the sun starts to rise
You are good, so good
In the heat of the day with each stone that I lay
You are so good

When the road starts to turn around each bend I've learned
you are good, so good
When somebodies hand holds me up, helps me stand
you are so good

With every breath I take in I'll tell you I'm grateful again

Cause it's more than enough just to know I am loved (and anna is loved!)
and you are good

So how can I thank you
What can I bring
What can these poor hands lay at the feet of a king
I'll sing you a love song
It's all that I have
To tell you I'm grateful
For holding my life in your hands

When it's dark and it's cold
and I can't feel my soul
You are good, so good
When the world has gone grey
and the rain is here to stay
You are still good

And the storm may swell
Even then it is well
And you are good

How can I thank you
What can I bring
What can these poor hands
Lay at the feet of a King?

So I'll sing you this love song
It's all that I have
To tell you I'm grateful
For holding my life in your hands
You're holding my life in your hands

God sees and knows and He is good. How thankful I am to not be going through this alone!

Isaiah 41:10, "Be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

If you think of it, feel free to pray for wisdom and grace for us and of course healing for our little baby. We need His help so much! :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are handling everything great. A new baby is a lot to adjust to, but it's even harder when they have discomfort. Whenever J has been sick or had issues (like discipline stuff :))I always sing Casting Crowns song "I will praise you in this storm." It's awesome that songs can help us through things. I'm thankful God gifted some people in that way. We'll be praying!
Love,
Shannon

young wife&mom said...

we are and will continue to pray. please let us know if you need anything..

love,
lorrie

Len Hancock said...

That sounds exactly like Cooper. We thought he had colic for a while; we even borrowed Caleb's wedge.

Whenever he cried for some unknown reason we blamed "gas." We used a lot of simethicone since the doc said it wouldn't hurt. Sometimes it takes a while to work though.

After what seemed like forever, but was really not that long a time, it just stopped. I hope it stops quickly for Anna.

Len

Nathan & Sarah said...

I had no idea little Anna wasn't feeling well, I hope things get better, I will be praying for all of you. And just so you know, I was teased about my long toes and skinny feet as well as the hair on my arms and not to mention my maiden name...gosh, but I turned out all right and so will Anna. And who knows, she may turn out to love her feet like I do mine! We love you all and can't wait to see you again.

upeace said...

Hey Lauren, I'm praying for you! Abi had the same problem and then some, and I had to give up dairy too. So I feel for you! But just remember this is only a short stage, it'll get better soon I promise!
Love ya
Becky

Baby Hancock said...

If I have learned anything in the last year, it's that God IS good, despite our circumstances. He loves you in the midst of your trial...and so do we! Can't wait to see her next Wednesday (we're bringing food).

Love,
Nina

Aaron and Kristen said...

lauren!! love ya girl :) please feel free to kep in touch at knshaffer@gmail.com. love you!!! and would you want to come to a wedding on 11/1/08???? keep it open :)

Steph B. said...

You are doing a great job! It is hard sometimes since we don't know what the little one needs. I will be praying for you! For strength and peace and comfort and rest!!! and praying for Anna too!!

Steph B. said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!

Michele said...

Congratulations you two and Happy Mother's Day, Lauren!! She is very beautiful and I'm very impressed that you were at church today Lauren!! I wasn't able to be up and moving that early until after my second. ;-) I can understand about the food issues and the baby cramping. I've been through it twice now and it's just not fun. If you need anyone to bounce ideas off of or just listen to you vent, feel free to call!

~Michele Ballard
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/MountaineerMomma

Iris said...

.....these issues are easily cleared up with just a few chiropractic adjustments for baby! Try a pediatric chiropractor.....I know a REALLY good one in Kingwood...